Thursday, October 31, 2013

Longest day

My household is full of excited tension today.  I have 3 small boys, ages 2, 4 and 6.  It's Halloween.  They're antsy as all get out, ready for dark ("is it dark yet?"), ready for Trick-or-Treating.  They've got costumes (Super Why, Green Lantern & Batman), they've got plastic pumpkins ready for candy holding, and they've got a whole neighborhood of houses purported to be housing free candy.  Kid in a candy store is nothing; kid on Halloween, now that's where the wide-eyed excitement really exists.

I am also full of excited tension.  It is NaNoWriMo Eve!  Midnight tonight, I get to start on The Book! Working title: Able Mabel's Coffee & Treats (AMC&T, when I get tired of typing that mouthful).  I have a storyboard outline, I've got notecards, I have dual main characters, and I am ready!  But I also find myself staring mournfully at the clock, asking if it's dark yet.  We haven't hit Daylight Savings yet, but the days are already so much longer.

In order to give myself something to do besides twiddling my thumbs, I've been reading a bit of the terribleminds.com blog.  Freelance penmonkey who uses more profanity in every entry than most people do in a month, he's got some solid advice.  His NaNo bundle is what's going to get me through today, and probably any "down time" I have in November that I, for one reason or another, can't write during.  Terrible Minds is where my favorite writer's prayer comes from, which I will now share here.



How can you not love that?

In other news, I managed to bang out a synopsis the other day.  To my chagrin, all it actually took was reading the back of a few kids chapter books.  Immediately put me in the right frame of mind, made the task seem more manageable.  Now to figure out the rest of the query letter to stick it in.  Le sigh.

That's all I have for the moment.  For all those about to write, I salute you!  May the odds be ever in your favor!  So say we all!  (and many other great things other people have written)
-Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment