Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Agents

Today's writing time has been spent more on the business side of things; researching agents.  I've got the book 2014 Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market.  Great resource, along with www.writersmarket.com, to find publishers & agents.  Not that I've had luck yet with either, but I'm still early in my submission timelines.
Having only submitted to one agent, I'm looking to send out a few more submissions.  Doing the research on where to send is a bit of necessary procrastination on my part, because the next bit is scary.  I have to polish up something new to the point I think someone else would enjoy it enough to give me their vote of confidence and/or money for it.  Or at very least not laugh in my face.  That's never the goal.  Unless it's a humorous piece I guess, then that's what you're going for, but I digress.
Through all of my panning for agency gold today, I've come up with one new agent idea.  Since I'm seeing requests for exclusivity, only adding one doesn't hurt my brain too much.  Now to decide if I want to send off my early-grade chapter book, or another picture book (or two).  It's nice having a portfolio of writings to choose from, so I can make sure the submission is right for the recipient.  I was hoping to even have an illustrated work to send off to a couple publishers that prefer that, but it looks like my illustrator idea is falling through, at least for the time being.  Oh well, maybe it's not meant to be.

That's it for today.  Screaming babies & all.
-Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment