Monday, October 21, 2013

Destructive thoughts

Destructive thoughts vs good ones by chibird
Thoughts are a powerful thing- don’t let the bad ones hurt you. D:

It's so easy to let the insecurities we face, as artists, as writers, be the loudest voices we hear.  If you have even one person in your life that is encouraging, or even you just occasionally find little things like this comic that lift your spirit and remind you that you don't completely suck, save those.  Guard them, treasure them.  I was having a day where I was convinced I was a talent-less hack, that I had no business trying to get published.  I, in a moment of outgoing vulnerability, turned to my Facebook friends for a shot in the arm.  I asked what they did when they, in whatever medium they create, do to turn the tide around, to get back in the game instead of throwing their hands up and just watching Netflix for the rest of my life.  Their life.  You know.

And the response I got was so heartwarming.  I've saved it away for myself, but most of the advice translates to everyone out there that is having a crap creation day, so I thought I'd boil it down and share.

1. Everyone feels this way sometimes.  I got responses from writers, photographers, cake decorators, quilters, singers and the all-around-crafty-types.  Knowing that everyone that creates something that they hope someone else will appreciate has days like this, that bucked me up a bit on it's own.

2. Take a little break.  Not a forever break. Not a break your favorite pen, throw your computer out the window kind of break.  But a little break, doing something you enjoy.  After you've given it your all for the day, after you've really tried to squeeze water out of that stone, give yourself a break.

4. Laugh at yourself.  Laugh at your situation.  Laugh at the wind, at the rain, at the hail.  Have a sense of humor about yourself and your surroundings, every chance you get.

5. Remember to enjoy what you're doing.  You started writing because it spoke to something inside you.  Don't get bogged down by hopes for the end product, remember to enjoy the therapeutic, aesthetic beauty of what you're actually doing.

6. And furthering that... create to please YOU.  Writing what you think someone else is going to like first isn't going to please anyone.  Write for you first.  Polish, redraft for others, if necessary.  But the first draft, in all it's shitty glory, is just for you.  Take joy in that, and then be pleasantly surprised if anyone else likes it too.

7. Be kind to yourself.  Don't compare yourself to those you think great, just compare to yourself.  Are you getting better, growing in your art?  Don't think about what Joe Schmoe does.  That's his problem.  Don't let comparison be the thief of your joy.

8. Work on a deadline.  Then you have permission to stop tweaking, a finish line to cross where you throw your hands in the air and say it is what it is, and I gave it everything I could with the time I had.

9.  You've dealt with harder crap than this.  Don't let it beat you.

10.  I also got a vote of confidence from my best friends.  The people that have read my stuff, and have confidence in my abilities.  Maybe some editor in New York will pass on my book this time, but my mom likes it dammit, so that counts for something!


I hope something in this list speaks to you, gives you an idea for how to get out of your own dungeon of self-loathing.  I know I'll be back to reread this post again.  Hopefully it's only every month or so and not every day, but always remember-- you're not alone.

-Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment