Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Adventures of Captain Underpants- review

In the midst of NaNoWriMo, I resolve to not read anything, lest my free time be taken up consuming a good book instead of writing one. However, that does not stop me from reading to my 4 and 6 year old boys at bedtime.  I hit the local library pretty much every weekend, and come across a lot of good books, so I thought I'd start reviewing them here.

Generally we read picture books, 1-3 a night, but this week we're diving into an early chapter book.

The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey.



We're currently about two-thirds through the book, but the kids are loving it. My 6 year old first grader, whose sense of humor has recently turned to fart noises and giggling at the word "booty", finds it hilarious. The 4 year old and I look at him incredulously every time he bursts out laughing at the mention of underpants. Clearly he's the target audience. The story is paced well though, and is easy for everyone to follow along. Pictures on every page give them something to focus on while I'm reading aloud, so everyone's happy. While the humor's not my taste, I'm thrilled that the story's got both boys involved enough that they beg for one more chapter before bed. Note: not actually the best "calm down, go to sleep" vibe with this one. Great for encouraging reading though.

**EDIT**  The 4 year old gave this his ultimate stamp of approval by asking to keep the book in his room after we finished it. This means he's going to go through it after I leave, poring over his favorite parts and reenacting the action.  This is the first chapter book to get this treatment. Bravo Pilkey!**

-Meagan



No comments:

Post a Comment